Monday, March 09, 2009

Chicago Radio History

On Monday morning March 9, 2009, there was only one thing on my mind and that was to go the Home Going Celebration for Richard Earl Pegue. I knew that some of everybody in Chicago radio would be there. And when I arrived at the Apostolic Church of God, some of everybody was there. When I got there I was met by Willie “Needle Master” Cox. We hugged and exchanged pleasantries but that was only the beginning.


Inside the church I looked for the familiar faces and to my surprise it took a while because so many people were glad to see that I had made it. There was no way that I would not have attended this celebration. It was out of total respect that I had to be there. The way Richard performed on Radio; I did on the radio and in the clubs as a DJ. We (the jocks) call it “post to post” radio. I prided my style on never talking on the vocals of a record. I could end one song and keep talking until the vocals of the next song giving information about the song or artist. There is no nonsense in post to post announcing. Richard no doubt was the master and taught many people knowingly and unknowingly.


Finally I ran across the old WKKC Crew, or at least the guys that were on staff while I was there. Chris, Allen, Nelson and I sat in the same pew and we talked about the craft we so dearly love and the man that we were paying our respects to. As we sat there in the midst of Chicago radio history we suddenly realized the magnitude of the moment. To see some of the WVON Good Guys was an event within itself. Chicago radio history was in the Apostolic Church of God. Herb Kent, Dr. Cecil Hale, Wesley South, Pervis Spann. and Lucky Cordell also radio colleagues Richard Steele, Jim Raggs, Emily McKendall, and Bonnie DeShong.


Pegue was respected by both the radio personalities and club DJ’s, I happen to be one that walked on both sides of the road on the radio and in the streets. Along with DJ Legend Willie Cox, was Sam Chatman, Luther Gage, Bill Humphrey, Ernest L. and Alvia McNeal and probably many more that I did not get too or see.


Now the service was beautiful from start to finish and the Apostolic Church of God staff handled it very well. A special shout out to James Hudson for the “Midnight Cry” he brought the spirit down on a few folk. Others who were on the program were also great especially the Black Ensemble Theater production. What can anyone say about Pam Morris? She performed like no other mistress of ceremony. Pam Morris has an uncanny way of saying the right things at the right time, making everyone feel at ease and still recognizing the “order of service in the house of God.


Many people were given the opportunity for reflections and one of those was the “Iceman” Jerry Butler and he blessed us with a few bars from that still great voice. The record industry and music retailers were recognized also. It was good to see George Daniels, Marshall of the Chi-Lites and Tommy Hunt. Many of Richard students were in attendance too and Pam Murphy laid it out reading a story Richard penned 30 years ago. Other Pegue disciples Al Greer, Ray Neal, Lamonts Watts, Maurice King and others were in the house. Oh and the commercial radio stations showed plenty of respect as well. Many of Richard’s former colleagues were there Glen Cosby, Tori Tyler, Joe Soto, and the one and only Ramonski Love who set the house on fire with Richard’s most famous jingle creation the Fun Town song. .Richard’s WKKC family members Marv, Marcella, Dennis, Kevin and Revelle also paid their respects.


As I sat there in the service two of my former students asked questions about who was who and in explaining to them about the great people of Chicago radio I realized a couple of things. One that the history of Black Chicago Radio has to be preserved and two that we cannot wait until someone else passes before we get together again. All DJ’s from Chicago, I am making a call out to you whether you were on the radio or in the clubs.


LET’S GET TOGETHER AGAIN SOON!!


Contact Reggie Miles rmileshu@yahoo.com

No comments: