Sunday, June 28, 2009

WOW The Mighty OJAYS


Normally, I don't anticipate watching a television awards show but this year the BET Awards 09 was special. All day I waited for the program because it was billed as a tribute show to Michael Jackson. This production was three days in the making due to the sudden death of the World's Greatest Entertainer. The original planned production was abandoned in respect to the entertainment icon. If anyone is still confused and doubting the impact that Michael Jackson placed on the World these last few days should provide a clearer picture. No prior entertainer has dominated the media like the passing of Michael Jackson. I'm sure no other entertainer ever will. The World really had something special in Michael. Many of the celebrities talked about how Michael Jackson impacted their lives. The words and memories were fitting to the World's Greatest entertainer. His Father Joe Jackson was in the front row and Janet spoke at the end of the program. The spirit of Michael Jackson must have been in the auditorium.


For me, the special of the night was the performance by the Life Time Achievement Honoree the Mighty, Mighty OJAY'S. It was an amazing performance that pierced through the evening which was dedicated to Michael Jackson. If you missed their performance Sunday Night do not miss the Encore presentation on Tuesday. And don't be hard on Don "Soul Train" Cornelius.

When the O'Jays sang I turned up the volume to hear the Legends from Canton,Ohio and they did not disappoint. Harmony, Harmony and Harmony a straight up singing lesson. Eddie and Walter still have it. And the newest member of the O'Jays hit the notes of the late great O'Jays original member William Powell flawlessly. I mean the O'Jays Sang and "Stepped." Excuse me, you would have to be a fan of singing groups to really appreciate what the O'Jays did on that stage. Don't take my word for it, watch them and turn up the TV as they perform and you will see these "Legends" step and sing great harmony. The harmony itself was music to my ears and that harmony was better with time. I was done after the O'Jays performance. I actually felt better. Micheal's death was heavy on my heart. This weekend seemed so long. I wish singing groups could make a comeback through our younger performers. Maybe our sons and brothers can work it out. BET should have let the O'Jays sing Love Train and that would have been an added tribute to Michael.

The Prime Minister

No comments: